We have had some BEAUTIFUL weather here the past few days. 50s, 60s, even had a day that hit the 70s! And with all the snow melting, it has smelled wonderful too. Felt like spring, even though I–as an Iowan born and raised–know that there’s no way it is spring. It’s been heavenly, really. And every time spring starts rolling around, I get a craving for grilling out and having “Summery” foods. Chips, baked beans, potato salad, hot dogs…anything you might have at a Fourth of July picnic.
When a person is working towards the “Healthy Food Highway,” however, cravings can be a curse that is mighty hard to fight. They certainly are for me, anyway. And while cravings are supposed to be your bodies way of telling you what you need to eat–like you crave sweets because you need fruit–I’m such a picky eater (and an emotional eater, truth be told), that my cravings are usually very specific, and rarely healthy. I crave frosting or pepperoni pizza or french fries. Occasionally, I crave a specific type of food such as spicy or summery or snacky.
This time, it was the summery foods, and I really wanted to have something grilled. But I wanted to try and have something healthy, too, so I dug out the following turkey burger recipe that I got from the community section of the Sensa website.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 ounces turkey breast, ground
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, low fat
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise, low-fat
- 2 rolls, dinner, large
- Combine ground turkey breast with onion, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and bread crumbs; mix well. Form into a two small patties; set aside. Grill or broil turkey burgers until turkey is no longer pink inside and juices run clear. Place 1/2 slice of cheese on each burger and heat until melted. Brush 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise on each roll. Place burgers on rolls and enjoy.
We did (of course) make a couple changes. First, we used a full pound of turkey and therefor quadrupled all of the recipe amounts. We also used Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs and used Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise (because I really dislike the bitter/sour taste of mayonnaise). Finally, instead of using a dinner roll (which we have done and liked in the past), we used a potato bread roll. The finished burger is absolutely scrumptious! And it definitely fulfilled the craving I was having, which is a doubly impressive accomplishment as far as I’m concerned. A successful meal all the way around.
Sorry there aren’t any pictures this time around, by the way. I was too busy scarfing down my healthy, craving-fulfilling, summery turkey burgers to remember to grab my camera. I’ll try to get some pictures next time around.
To my readers: What food do you crave (if any) when nicer weather starts rolling in?